Saturday, October 12, 2013

Life, The Refining Fire


"Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind the stronger the trees."

-Douglas Malloch

A topic that has been on my mind quite a bit lately is that of adversity brings strength. And after Thomas S. Monson quoted the poem above in the latest General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I felt as if I should say a word or two about it.

Often I am confronted with the question of "why do bad things happen to good people?". For many people this is a difficult question to answer, and one that has lead many people to question or abandon their faith. This should not happen, neither should people feel as if the only thing they can do is simply brush the question aside an act as if it is irrelevant or unanswerable. Understand this: there are always answers, some may come sooner than others, but never be afraid to continue asking questions. 

To help us understand affliction we have to understand the purpose of this life. We are here to be tested, it is a trial of our character (Alma 34:32). If we prove faithful with the little that we have been given, then God will give us a place in his mansion above. We cannot be tested without trials. This life has three guarantees: you will be born, you will die, and you will have hardships. We are all born into unique circumstances and conditions. We all have different strengths and weaknesses; as a result, no two people will experience the same trials. However, God will not put burdens on our shoulders that we are not strong enough to handle. We need not bear these burdens alone though, Christ is always there to strengthen and support us.

In chapter thirty of the Gospel of Matthew we learn of the invitation that Christ has extended to everyone of us:
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Life is going to be hard, and it will be full of challenges, and if you haven't experienced any yet brace yourself. This is not intended to be disheartening, and it all reality it shouldn't be. Experiences lead to growth, and the growth leads to strength that comes from understanding. And through it all, Christ is there for us. His hand is always out-stretched and all we have to do is grab hold and faithfully trust him. As we stand strong and faithfully endure our challenges we will one day be able to have the same confidence as Paul when he said, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." (2 Timothy 4:7) So, I implore you, that when life gets hard, when everything around starts caving in, and you can't help but feel down, don't forget to look up.

Other Scriptures to read:
Jacob 3:1-2 (B.o.M.)
Romans 5:3-5 (KJV)
2 Corinthians 4:17 (KJV)
Mosiah 24:10-17 (B.o.M.)
Online Scriptures @ scriptures.lds.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment