Thursday, January 29, 2015

Trust Like a Child

When Jesus Christ invites us to be childlike there is much more to that commandment than what initially meets the eye. One thing that has always inspired me about children is their ability to trust. They firmly believe that their parents will provide for their needs and they happily enjoy their lives never giving another thought as to whether or not there will be food on the table. Our Heavenly Father in many ways is hoping to have a very similar relationship with us.

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?... Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day isthe evil thereof." 
(Matthew 6:25,30-34)
He wants us to be able to focus our efforts and our energy on those things in this life that are going to bring us lasting joy. He has promised that if we humbly obey that he will provide for our every need. However, it seems to me that many good people are trying to do what they can to obey the commandments and to serve our Heavenly Father, but they wont let themselves trust his divine promises by allowing the burdens of guilt and worry to weigh them down, rather than letting a profound sense of peace prevail in their lives from day to day.

What I have found is that the times that I have been most happy on my mission here in Jacksonville, FL where when I was simply laboring away in the Lord's vineyard and not worrying about how I was going to obtain or accomplish the things that Lord has already promised to provide or complete. Just the other day I was reading from the book of Enos in the Book of Mormon and the following verse really stuck out to me.


"And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away." 
(Enos 1:6)
I am constantly amazed at the simple childlike faith that is demonstrated in this simple verse. The absolute trust in God. Guilt can be among the heaviest burdens that people will carry in the lives, and to know that in an instant that this burden was removed by simply trusting the words of a loving Heavenly Father is such a profound example to all of us. It is helpful for all of us to remember the following words of comfort.


"¶Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

(Matthew 11:28-30) 

I want to bear my simple testimony that if we will trust God when he promises to provide and simply lose ourselves in the service of others that the burden of worry and guilt can be removed from our shoulders, and we will be able to experience greater joy in the daily walk of this mortal probation. I know these things to be true and I know that Jesus is The Christ. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.


Photographs are courtesy of LDS.org

No comments:

Post a Comment